Government Agency Banks on IT to Drive Top-Notch Customer Service
The OCC is an independent bureau of the U.S. Department of Treasury and is responsible for ensuring that national banks and federal savings associations operate in a safe and sound manner, provide fair access to financial services, treat customers fairly, and comply with applicable laws and regulations. With roughly 2,600 bank examiners to support, the OCC IT group focuses on making the team productive and effective. In addition, the IT group needs to ensure that national banks and federal thrifts can submit required documentation to the OCC in a timely and efficient way.
This may seem like an impossible task, but I like the approach – breaking the challenge down into clear, achievable steps. OCC IT worked with consultants at Phacil and experts from the ServiceNow Professional Services team to drive considerable change in how it delivers a variety of customer-facing services.
- Revamp its IT service model from the ground up so that all of processes would be standardized, automated, and measurable and tie directly back to customer satisfaction.
- Change the view of IT to be more than an organization that just supplied infrastructure; they wanted to be directly involved in changing the way OCC examiners work and the way banks interact with the agency.
- Revitalize IT to make the overall business operations much more effective.
How the OCC did it:
- Standardized on ServiceNow IT Service Automation as a single system of record for IT service requests.
- Introduced ServiceNow Incident Management with several new features including:
- A chat function to help reduce call volume;
- Custom incident forms to meet specific needs; and
- Custom field requiring each incident to have a knowledge base article attached prior to closing.
- Stood up a new service catalog and front-end portal to create self-service functionality with a customer-friendly, easy-to-use feel. Now users can log incidents themselves, check on the progress, and access the growing knowledge base to resolve issues on their own.
- Introduced robust survey capabilities to provide IT with the knowledge they need to turn any “no” to a question into a “yes” immediately.
- Integrated Incident Management with Bomgar for remote support, enabling both customers and agents to share screens, interact, and automatically store info from the session, like chat scripts and actions, right in the ServiceNow record.
- Integrated with ConnectFirst, a cloud-based contact center solution that provides information about contact types, wait times, and resolution times. With that information, the OCC support team can fine-tune agent availability and technician assignments to improve customer service.
You Can’t Improve What You Don’t Measure
With this capability underpinning the entire effort, the team can now see important metrics via customized dashboards.
What they’ve seen by way of results is nothing short of tremendous in my mind:
- OCC IT can now handle more than 38,000 calls with a first-call resolution of nearly 90 percent.
- Abandon rates have decreased from 11.12 percent to 1.6 percent.
- Customer confidence also shows significant improvement. Recent rates show that 99.6 percent of customer surveys were returned with positive ratings and comments.
All this while truly changing the way the OCC IT team works.