Why We Chose the HR Profession in the First Place
I have focused a lot of attention in recent blogs on describing why service management is important for businesses, the HR department and, of course, the end user employee. But when I talk about service management transforming the employee experience, I am not just referring to the end users. HR professionals are perhaps the biggest benefactors of service management. It reminds us why we chose HR as a profession in the first place.
When I made the decision to pursue a career in Human Resources, I had plans of developing employee engagement programs, helping people manage their career paths, and strategizing with my partners in operations to move the business forward. For me, HR was the perfect intersection of business operations and people management. Yet, I spent the majority of my 11 years in HR on process-improvement initiatives. In addition to our other responsibilities, my teams and I were tasked with maximizing the HR technology we had at our disposal to create efficiencies and improve outcomes. We achieved most of our objectives, yet we remained a very administrative HR organization that spent 70% of its time on manual work and answering the same questions over and over again. Technology had taken us as far as we could go. This was not the HR career I had dreamed of.
Why do most people decide to become an HR professional?
- Do they join this profession to do data entry all day long or shuffle paperwork?
- Do they expect to spend the majority of their time answering and triaging emails?
- Is it their dream to manually coordinate all the tasks involved in bringing on a new employee?
I suspect the answer to these questions is a resounding NO. Yet, many HR professionals have spent so much of their career, like I did, doing these types of repetitive, administrative tasks.
Service management transforms the HR experience in so many ways, including opening up opportunities for HR employees to do the type of work they likely imagined at the start of their career. Because service management automates HR services and creates intuitive modern service experiences, HR teams spend less time on repetitive administrative work and are able to focus on strategic initiatives and innovation. Leaders have access to metrics that enable them to make informed business decisions. With Service Management, HR leaders have the opportunity to lead the business forward and not simply operate in reactive mode.
Here’s what some of the customers I talk to are saying.
- “ServiceNow has given us a level of visibility to our actual service level we could have never had before with emails, phone calls and paper. It has allowed us to operate as a global team, realizing the efficiencies of being able to move resources where the need is greatest, without the need for travel. Finally, ServiceNow is giving us insight into our business through the reporting features about where are requests are coming from and details into the types of requests we receive. We overlay this with attrition and engagement data to general predictive analysis which HR no can provide to our business leaders to make us much more proactive. I hate unnecessary email!” –Andrew Smith, Executive Director of Human Capital Services at TeleTech
- “ServiceNow has helped us see the need for internal change and the importance of addressing common issues that lead to a case. So the adjustment for me is really time management in general to better focus on opportunities that will lead to big wins. That means attend meetings that really are actionable and drive change… anything else goes on the back burner!” –Shalonda Welborn, Sr. Manager, HR Shared Services at Sally Beauty
- “We have transitioned from a hand-holding support model to a self-service support model that requires minimal interaction from our team.” –Tara Hicks, Senior Consultant, Performance Management at TeleTech
- “For years, I had to log important calls on a notepad. When I needed to recall what I was working on for someone or someone called back about an issue stating they spoke with me before, I would always have to shuffle through pages of my notebook and it would cause frustration because it would slow me down. It’s nice having a case management tool that I can use daily to easily and efficiently access important information. As a Supervisor, it has helped tremendously as I am able to tell which Rep a caller spoke with. In the past, when a caller would call with a complaint, employees would deny speaking with them and it kept me from getting to the bottom of possible training issues. In a lot of ways, ServiceNow allows us to work smarter, not harder.” –Tier 1 Superviser at Sally Beauty
- “It really has changed the way we work. Visibility to work across the organization allows managers to better assess workload & stress points in the group. Team members can easily share work and have been incredibly supportive when seeing that a colleague is buried or needs assistance. They are able to see and quickly address redundancies so that they aren’t spending their days responding to the same question over and over again. We still have a lot of enhancements to make but automating workflow and taking our interactions out of email has helped the organizational develop in other areas and has eliminated the endless hours of having to search through emails to support requests. In addition, we were able to shorten new hire orientation by 3 hours by automating various tasks and enhancing our knowledge base.” –Sylvia Pagan, Global HR Operations and Technology at ServiceNow
- “ServiceNow allows me to track my assigned HR cases and ensure each case is being addressed—nothing falls through the cracks. The case management tool, if used consistently across all of HR to cross reference our internal customers to ensure consistency in our messaging and not become mired in issues that are already being addressed. The ability to attach supporting documents eliminates the need for maintaining hard copy files and allows us to share documents with others in the HR assignment group in a secure confidential manner.” –Tier 2 Employee Relations Rep at Sally Beauty
Hear more during this live webinar on how the HR team at Sally Beauty gave its employee experience a total makeover with service management.